Re: guix-based installation of pigx-rnaseq - works

Hi,

On Sat, 27 Feb 2021 at 19:55, Steffen Möller <steffen_moeller@gmx.de> wrote:

> >> We keep mentioning conda also the time, while guix is somewhat left
> >> aside, but https://guix.gnu.org/packages/ is truly impressive. Somewhat
> >> annoying, if we ever decide to also reference guix packages in
> >> d/u/metadata, then there are only versioned web pages like
> >> https://guix.gnu.org/de/packages/bc-1.07.1/, so we would only have
> >> moving targets point to.
> >
> > What do you mean exactly?
>
> In d/u/metadata we give references to the bio.tools registry,
> SciCrunch's RRIDs and conda. But we should also give one to guix if we
> know about an "ortholog" package. These references point up as URLs on
> our task pages for the various blends. There is however no page for a
> package in guix that is not versioned if I get this right.

Just to understand, since I am not totally familiar with the debian/
folder, you are speaking about this file, for instance,

https://salsa.debian.org/med-team/pigx-rnaseq/-/blob/master/debian/upstream/metadata

What would be nice for Debian instead of
<https://guix.gnu.org/en/packages/pigx-rnaseq-0.0.10/>?
And where could I find a an example on how the others do?

> The fun part is, and this is where this shot on guix comes in, that we
> can compare a Debian based implementation with an image that upstream
> provides. Or compare with conda/brew/...guix. We are currently team
> building and collect ideas what we want to achieve.

I am not sure how the image upstream provides is built, probably with
"guix pack -f docker":

<http://bioinformatics.mdc-berlin.de/pigx/supplementary-materials.html>

> Hm. Not so sure. My interpretation was some general incompatibility of
> above docker-approach with GUIX, so I happily adopt the "guix pack".

There is another level to build Docker images using Guix: "guix system
docker-image" but it is more complicated and probably not the correct
path to distribute packages in a container.

<http://guix.gnu.org/manual/devel/en/html_node/Invoking-guix-system.html#Invoking-guix-system>

All the best,
simon