Re: Plan for Soft Freeze?

Hi Nilesh,

On Sat, Feb 06, 2021 at 01:15:59PM +0530, Nilesh Patra wrote:
> Freeze step-2 a.k.a soft freeze starts roughly a week from now.
> As it seems, the majority of our key packages are in good shape right now.
>
> Thanks to all! :-)

+1

> I had two questions:
>
> - From the start of soft freeze, should we be uploading most of the stuff
> to experimental instead of unstable(except for maybe bug fixes or very
> minor changes)?

Not yet.  Softfreeze means that packages that are not in testing will not
migrate any more.  Exactly *this* packages can be uploaded to unstable no
matter what freeze stage we have.  The sense of uploading to experimental
is that we need a chance to upload small dedicated fixes to packages only
addressing RC bugs for manual migration by release team.  But packages not
in testing will not get this manual care and can go to unstable (may be
serving nicely for the next Ubuntu sync).

So uploading to experimental for packages that are in testing will start
with hard freeze.  Meanwhile we should try very hard to get all RC bugs
solved and all testing removal warnings resolved.

> - I had been seeing a few bug reports and messages on IRC for different
> (binary-all)packages whose source-only upload hasn't been done post first
> binary upload, and are hence being stalled from migrating to testing - are
> there such packages in our team as well/is there a way to track them?

This was answered by Graham.