Re: Packaging ITK version 5

Hi Steven,

On Sun, Nov 15, 2020 at 01:07:26PM -0600, Steven Robbins wrote:
> I have a bit of time today and thought I'd look into packaging ITK 5.1.1.

Thanks for caring for itk.

> My thought is to upload to experimental first.  I don't see any "experimental"
> branch in salsa, but maybe I can just create one?  Or would it be better to
> make an itk5 branch?

I admit I don't mind since I never touched itk.  If Gerd (and those who
recently contributed) are OK with this that's fine.

> Also, I recall that someone (Gert, I believe) once proposed dropping the
> python packages for ITK 5.  I can't find the email just now but the gist of it
> was (in my recollection) that anyone really using the python wrappers for ITK
> is likely to need to carefully select the bits that need wrapping.  So the
> provided packages aren't of high value, but they do cause many of the build
> issues for debian.  So my thought is to drop the python package.
>
> Thoughts on any of the above?

I'm not a user of ITK but my general experience is that users are keen
on all interfaces that are provided upstream.  But its just an uneducated
guess of mine in respect of ITK.