Re: Metadata exchange with the Tools Platform Ecosystem

Hello Hervé, hello Matúš,

On 11.11.20 16:36, Hervé Ménager wrote:
> Hello Debian-ers,
> We (ELIXIR Tools Platform) have been working a lot on the Tools
> Platform lately. One of the major contributors is Debian Med, and
> collecting the package metadata from you will soon enable:
> - cross-linking between e.g. bio.tools and Debian Med packages
> - cross-validation and enrichment of metadata.

How cool is that!

I just checked https://bio.tools/clustalo and found the "software
package" link to Debian's tracker. Great!

> Speaking of which, our current setup is very convenient for us: we can
> update Debian metadata at any time, and use it to produce better tool
> descriptions. *But*, one thing which is unclear is how we can
> contribute back some metadata to your packages. Would there be any
> kind of interest on your side in e.g. opening Merge Requests on salsa
> when some metadata can use some update? If so, should our system open
> these MRs automatically or semi-automatically (assuming we can define
> precisely when a metadata difference mandates a correction on the
> Debian side)?

You personally have access to salsa.debian.org/med-team and can go for
anything exceptional without further delay.

You can also prepare and auto-prepare (!) pull requests of whatever
nature these may be for all packages that are on salsa.

For packages in Debian Med, fixing smallish bugs, like adding/correcting
the bio.tools reference I think you can just do them. A seed for the
edam annotation would be good, which then the individual maintainers
extend, by chance. I do not think I would in an automated way update
package descriptions. And the URLs should also be checked manually. Even
if you have the correct newer one, the one that is listed is likely the
one where the software was downloaded from and it identifies the
sources, too. More important in that respect is that the debian/watch
file is updated so the maintainer is informed about the updates.

As a start, I think a mere web page with lists of changes that you want
to feed back would be nice so we can think along.

Thank you both!

Steffen (has added/updated already three bio.tools references today :o) )