Re: shapeit4 and AVX2

Howdy,

I'm filling a wishlist item in the bug tracker, so that the
discussion does not disappear inside mail archives.  I gave a
try to shapeit4 autopkgtest suite with and without FMA & AVX2
support, but it had a run time of 1m25s in both cases on my
machine (Ryzen 5 3600 w/ 6 cores).  It is quite possible I
neglected some other bottlenecks though, but the assembler did
embed AVX2 instructions when I checked the build result.  Out of
curiosity, has someone figures on the performance gain for that
software when extensions are available?

Michael R. Crusoe, on 2020-11-05 21:26:30 +0100:
> As documented at
> https://wiki.debian.org/SIMDEverywhere

shapeit4 provides a dedicated code path for "-mfma -mavx2" build
options, and another one for generic builds.  Is it still worth
using SIMDe in this particular situation?  The "use case"
paragraph of the wiki page seems to suggest it is not strictly
needed here.

Kind Regards,
--
Étienne Mollier <etienne.mollier@mailoo.org>
Fingerprint:  8f91 b227 c7d6 f2b1 948c  8236 793c f67e 8f0d 11da