Re: Please consider a free license for tRNAscan-SE

Dear Todd, Dear Patricia,

As a member of the Debian Med team, I have been working on
updating tRNAscan-SE to version 2.0.7 for the Debian project.
However, I initially overlooked that there was still a file
src/dbmalloc.h with a non-free copyright statement.

I understand there were discussions, with the original author of
the remaining file still affected by a non-free license, to move
it to the MIT license, around end of September 2018.  However I
don't know what was the outcome of the discussion, if any.
Would it be possible to update the src/dbmalloc.h file to
reflect that licensing change if it did occur ?

While some non-free software are distributed through Debian
infrastructure, they are not part of Debian as such, and require
additional steps to our users to be installable.  Furthermore,
packages compliant with the Debian Free Software Guidelines
benefit from our whole quality assessment infrastructure, while
non-free software only have minimum checks, mainly because
common non-free licensing conditions will prevent these sort of
operations in the first place.

If tRNAscan-SE can move from the "non-free" to the "main"
archive, then the whole Debian infrastructure will benefit to
your project, and our common users will have the package readily
available in the official Debian distribution.

In hope the change of licensing conditions is possible,
Best Regards,
--
Étienne Mollier <etienne.mollier@mailoo.org>
Fingerprint:  8f91 b227 c7d6 f2b1 948c  8236 793c f67e 8f0d 11da