Re: When presenting Debian Med - worthwhile to point to the need to update packages as contributions?

Hi Andrius,

On 01.10.20 08:08, Andrius Merkys wrote:
> Hi Steffen,
>
> On 2020-09-30 20:40, Steffen Möller wrote:
>> What do you think? An idea that just popped up while writing is that we
>> should possibly do a YouTube/peer.tube video about how a Debian package
>> is updated and then dub that in three languages plus subtitles.
> What would be the target audience of these videos? Would we assume these
> people know about Debian tooling (gbp, sbuild, quilt and so on), or is
> it for beginners in the field?

There should be multiple videos. And they should not be too long, each
with a motivating take-home message. And the first one should address
even Windows users, I suggest. Ideas:

n^th: Explain Bioinformatics and Open Source, how larger biological
groups/universities maintain their service/research-mixes, how
technological advancements keep pushing boundaries on what data one gets
access to and how the data are processed.

o^th: Brew+Conda+Distros+Cloud+Docker - differences, competition, how
they help each other, how they are not

p^th: Debian packaging - unpacking a .deb manually (ar, tar,
[bgx]z(ip)?(2)?), apt-get source, dpkg-buildpackage

q^th: Debian Med infrastructure - task lists, salsa, links from and to
bio.tools, d/watch files

r^th: Routine-update - show a smooth update, show a less smooth one (as
in quilt -f push, vim), show how to feed a patch to upstream that is not
Debian-specific

s^th: Show how a package is uploaded to the distribution, and how
sponsoring works via salsa, follow it on tracker.debian.org

t^th: Show how to pigx-rnaseq (presumingly this is the first RNA-seq
workflow package making it into our archive) to (re-)investigate a
CoViD-19 dataset (and compare the findings with what the paper states).

u^th: Show how to use the same dataset to find something new, confirm
that in another CoViD-19 dataset and write a paper about it. Submit it.
Discuss comments from reviewers. Revise and resubmit.

The story kind of implies some half-order n<o<p<q<r<s<t<u but I would
suggest to have every video stand on its own. Video u is what keeps me
up to contribute to Debian as video+distro together bring science into
regular homes. And maybe this should be the first video to start working
on.  I have some ideas for videos > u but these would not need to be
discussed on a Debian list.

Best,
Steffen