Re: When presenting Debian Med - worthwhile to point to the need to update packages as contributions?

Great points Steffen!

In addition to the video tutorial(s), it might perhaps be interesting to take a look at Bionitio (https://github.com/bionitio-team/bionitio) and try to squeeze in Debian packaging into their templates.

Long live Debian Med!
Matus

On 2020-09-30 19:49, Nilesh Patra wrote:
Hi,

On Wed, 30 Sep 2020, 23:10 Steffen Möller, <steffen_moeller@gmx.de>
wrote:

Hello,

Anyone funding anything wants to fund something new - but
maintenance
work typically has problems to excite people. On the other hand, it
is a
very good way to learn about Debian packaging for beginners.

How about making some noise about our need to update packages on a
regular basis? The packages in Debian Med and its dependencies are
steadily increasing and so is the time the updates are demanding. My
very own entry to Debian Med was me moaning about clustalw not being
updated :) When Andreas gave a presentation at a "nearby virtual"
Linux
meeting, I saw a few individuals on the chat shying away from
presumed
technical difficulties.

What do you think? An idea that just popped up while writing is that
we
should possibly do a YouTube/peer.tube video about how a Debian
package
is updated and then dub that in three languages plus subtitles.

There was this discussion about Debian academy being discussed on
"-devel"[1]
[2]

Maybe you could coordinate and find the right set of individuals that
way?

[1]: https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2020/08/msg00236.html
[2]: https://wiki.debian.org/DebianAcademy

Kind Regards