Re: RFS: r-bioc-org.mm.eg.db

Hi Steffen,

Steffen Möller, on 2020-09-20 04:02:39 +0200:
> Hello, the git archive occupies 421M on my disk, the tarball is 68MB,
> the package only 29MB, which I think is worth it. We have the human
> already in the archive, I would like the others to follow - which means
> rat, fly and worm to me.
>
> I presume that git tries to make sense of the sqlite database and this
> is why this bloats. Or is it just past version? Anyone with ideas how to
> reduce the impact on salsa?

I think `git lfs`, from the package "git-lfs", might help reduce
the size of large data oriented repositories.  I have been
skimming through Salsa and Gitlab documentation, and I believe
this should be supported by Salsa as well.  Salsa is said to
have all the features of Gitlab, and Gitlab advertises git lfs
support:

	https://wiki.debian.org/Salsa
	https://docs.gitlab.com/ee/topics/git/lfs/index.html

However, I never have had the occasion to use git lfs yet.  I
only heard about it first during the presentation on "datalad".
But it sounds like it might be worth a try.

Kind Regards,
--
Étienne Mollier <etienne.mollier@mailoo.org>
Old rsa/3072: 5ab1 4edf 63bb ccff 8b54  2fa9 59da 56fe fff3 882d