Re: How much data load is acceptable in debian/ dir and upstream (Was: edtsurf_0.2009-7_amd64.changes REJECTED)

On 9/14/20 2:04 PM, Andreas Tille wrote:
> in the Debian Med team there are two GSoC students very busy to write
> autopkgtests for (in the long run) all our packages (if possible).

That is an excellent thing to do.

> On  Sun Sep 13 18:00:08 BST 2020, Thorsten Alteholz wrote:[3]
>> please don't hide data under debian/*.
>
> Sorry, Thorsten but I think "hiding" is not the right term.

FWIW, I agree that "hiding" seems wrong here.

> We have no
> other dir to add extra files than the debian/ dir.

Assuming a "3.0 (quilt)" package, you have the option of adding another
source tarball. [1] I'm not sure if that is better or worse here. It
just moves data from one source tarball (the debian one) to another. But
it is an _option_ at least.

>> Don't forget to mention the copyright information.
>
> In principle yes, but these data are not copyrightable as far as I know.
> Nilesh has mentioned the origin of data in debian/tests/README to
> provide a reference.  If you consider this information not sufficient
> please let us know a better way.

I would put the explanation in debian/copyright (instead of or in
addition to any other location). If you're using machine-readable
copyright, use "License: public-domain", and and note that 7.1.1
_requires_ an explanation of why it is public-domain, as public domain
is commonly misunderstood. [2]

[1]
https://wiki.debian.org/Projects/DebSrc3.0#How_to_use_multiple_upstream_tarballs_in_3.0_.28quilt.29_format.3F

[2]