Re: Should the pandas 1.x transition be forced (breaking python-biom-format and q2-demux/q2-types) or keep waiting?

Hi Rebecca,

On Sun, Aug 23, 2020 at 11:30:19PM +0100, Rebecca N. Palmer wrote:

> pandas 1.0 has been in experimental for 6+ months, because it breaks some of
> its reverse dependencies:
>
> In testing:
> #950924 python-feather-format (has patch, no maintainer response to it)
> #950931 q2templates (has upstream fix)
> #950929 python-biom-format (no known solution)
>
> Not in testing:
> #950932 q2-types
> #950933 q2-demux
>
> This is blocking at least one proposed new package (pymatgen #962268), and
> making work when a new numpy/etc breaks the old pandas.  On the other hand,
> this year feels like a bad time to break bioinformatics packages.

I personally would voto for a soonish upload of the new pandas version.
This gives more time to fix reverse dependencies before the freezw.

> Ubuntu freezes this Thursday, but I suspect I may have left this too late
> for that.

I admit I have no idea how our uploads might influence the Ubuntu
release.

> Upstream have now released pandas 1.1, and I might go straight to that but
> first need to check whether it breaks anything more.  (It isn't supposed to
> have API changes, but the new warnings may break fail-on-warning tests.)

I think following upstream closely and fixing low popcon leaf packages
after this is a sensible strategy.

Thanks a lot for all your work