Re: About Snpeff packaging (Was : Re: Attributions concern for aparapi (currently in NEW))

Hi Andreas,

Le 26/07/2020 à 22:28, Andreas Tille a écrit :
> Hi Pierre,
>

>> While I am at it:
>> - if aparapi cannot enter Debian, I should be able to deactivate the
>> module of apfloat that uses it, as this module is not part of the main
>> code. I have got a similar issue for the module using jscience, as
>> important non backward-compatible ABI changes in a dependency of
>> jscience will prevent us from packaging it unless a new version comes
>> one day. Snpeff does not use any of those modules (aparapi and jscience
>> wrappers);
>
> Thanks a lot for your investigation.  While I'd prefer to provide a full
> featured package but finally its very good news that we might be able to
> leave out what is not possible to package due to licensing issues.

I plainly agree a full package would be better. Yet we will be able to
provide the best possible package considering licensing issues, and
everything will be prepared for including the missing part as soon as it
becomes possible!

>> - I have some concerns about akko-actor, as the build of this software
>> seems to be relying on Scala Build Tool (sbt), which is packaged in
>> Debian but not in good shape currently. I will look for a workaround if
>> possible.
>
> I remember we have some other package inside Debian which is Scala source
> (I would need to check which package if it is of interest) and finally
> we found a way to deal with this.

If this does not require too much time, I would be interested in knowing
which one it is.
I have recently browsed all packages with "scala" in their names, I saw
many of them included files for sbt but the Scala compiler (in package
'scala') was used instead. This could maybe do the job with akka, yet I
have the impress (but I have to further investigate to confirm) that
akka would require a version of the Scala compiler that is newer than
the one being currently packaged in Debian. I will discuss this on Java
list if I need it.

> Thanks a lot for your work on this snpeff.  Its very appreciated
>
>       Andreas.

Thanks and have a good Sunday,
Pierre