Re: Any volunteer to remove csh dependency of mummer [mummer is marked for autoremoval from testing]

Hi Andreas, Hi Steffen,

Steffen Möller, on 2020-07-24 12:32:58 +0200:
> Hi Andreas, hi Étienne,
>
> On 24.07.20 09:43, Andreas Tille wrote:
> > Hi Étienne,
> >
> > On Thu, Jul 23, 2020 at 11:08:01PM +0200, Étienne Mollier wrote:
> >> I ran a git push --all, this seems to be good now.
> > I merged this into master, removed csh also from docs (should have been
> > done even formerly due to the .csh extensions which are removed from the
> > scripts and uploaded.

Thanks Andreas for having taken the time to review, do changes
deemed necessary and upload.  :)

> > Dealing with mummer brings back the question of an upgrade to 4.0~beta2.
> > This was discussed here before[1].  Steffen suggests a separate package.
> > What about others?
> >
> > I've checked mummer 4.0~beta2 and it seems upstream switched to sh
> > there - so our move was in some way in agreement with upstream.
> I think we see the v3 mummer used quite a bit today while newer workflows
> likely will depend on v4. Not expecting the api to remain the same, nor the
> biological implications, we should treat the tools like we treat our
> libraries,
> seeing the analogy when tools are embedded in workflows to sharing code that
> is dynamically linked.
>
> The workflows embedding Mummer we do not expect to synchronize
> their transition/migration - if they synchronize at all. I expect
> history to repeat with what
> we experienced with hmmer when it migrated from 2 to 3.

I believe I'm not in the best position to comment on an update
from mummer3 -> 4 but, I reminded about #956751 (something about
a Gnuplot option that became obsolete in Gnuplot v5).  If the
package mummer is updated to 4.0~beta2, then this is solved
upstream.  If a mummer3 is kept alongside a mummer4, maybe this
will need a patch earlier.  Just something I had in mind,
nothing release critical...

> Disclaimer: If I got this right then v4 no longer has the contributor of
> v3 from
> my neighbouring university, so I am a bit sentimental about it, too.

Well we all have some history behind us.  :)

Kind Regards,
--
Étienne Mollier <etienne.mollier@mailoo.org>
Old rsa/3072: 5ab1 4edf 63bb ccff 8b54  2fa9 59da 56fe fff3 882d