Re: mecat2 requires ncbi-blast+ sources (yet ncbi-blast+ is not a library)?

Shayan Doust <hello@shayandoust.me> writes:

> A simple grep we can get an idea of how extensively the ncbi_blast
> headers and soures are referenced:
>
> https://paste.debian.net/1154499/

In general, ncbi-blast+ comes from NCBI's C++ Toolkit (home page
https://ncbi.github.io/cxx-toolkit/, sources from
https://ftp.ncbi.nih.gov/toolbox/ncbi_tools++/CURRENT), which builds
libraries for public consumption but is a behemoth with its own release
schedule.  Moreover, mecat gives the NCBI code it bundles completely
different paths (with, e.g., cmdline_args and str_util both containing
subsets of the C++ Toolkit's {include,src}/corelib), though I suppose
that's more of a formality.

That said, this duplication is of a sufficiently small portion of
ncbi-blast+ (let alone the entire C++ Toolkit) that I'm OK with letting
it slide, which is certainly fine from a legal perspective (NCBI's code
all being public domain).

Thanks for asking!

http://www.mit.edu/~amu/ | http://stuff.mit.edu/cgi/finger/?amu@monk.mit.edu