If you are using Debian Med packages please ask your upstream to mention Debian in install instructions (Was: Upstream CI: send patches to use Debian packages when existing?)

On Fri, Jun 19, 2020 at 02:55:38AM +0200, Steffen Möller wrote:

> On 18.06.20 20:12, Andreas Tille wrote:
> > On Thu, Jun 18, 2020 at 03:51:15PM +0200, Steffen Möller wrote:
> > >
> > > Opinions?
> > Isn't this a question you should ask upstream whether they like
> > patches or not?  Everything we could do is pure speculation IMHO.
>
> More like if there are technical reasons that I do not see why an
> existing Debian package should be inferior to what is freshly retrieved
> via pip or from CRAN or ... whatever.
>
> Somewhat related is the idea to send patches to README.md files on
> github to indicate that the package can be installed on Debian and
> Ubuntu. We should not bother all packages out there with such a patch,
> but for some this may be appropriate. Maybe we all can start with
> packages to which we are already connected in some way, like to which we
> have already contributed or of which we know upstream personally. And
> then we see how this goes.

I'm a big fan to create issues with patches to README.md files pointing
to Debian.  We should definitely do so.  But I *personally* do not want
to do this since I have more sophisticated stuff on my table.  Any
Debian Med user who is reading this and is using some software which has
no hint to the Debian package is kindly invited to approach upstream to
provide the information that  `apt install ...` is possible and should
be mentioned inside the install instructions.