Re: New package vt loocking for a sponsor

On Thu, Jun 18, 2020 at 12:46:49PM +0200, Andreas Tille wrote:
> Hi Antoni,
>
> thanks a lot for your work on vt.

Hi,

Bug #963050: ITP vt

I've messed up sending the ITP twice. So sorry!

Dupplicated bug is #963051

> On Thu, Jun 18, 2020 at 08:01:10AM +0000, Antoni Villalonga wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Finally 'vt' package is ready to be released:
> >   https://salsa.debian.org/med-team/vt
> >
> > After intensive git-bisect work the package builds against external libs
> > (all already included in Debian). Specially new versions of libhts as the
> > original vt code only works with libhts-1.8.
> >
> > Now it builds against libhts-1.10 (Sid).
> > It can be easily adapted to libhts-1.9 (Stable), already tested locally.
>
> Thanks for your great work.  That's really important to get rid of
> code copies!

Harder than expected because of broken ABI between hts versions and I mess up
during hours :-p

> > Please check and sponsor-upload :)
>
> I have removed those external libraries.  Technically its helpful to
> make really sure that these are not used and saving work wise its
> extremely helpful since otherwise we would need to specify all those
> copyrights even if the code is not used.  In d/copyright I also added
> some missings.  For your own license I would recommend to simply use the
> very same license as the upstream code.  This saves you some extra text
> and usually works nicely if you do not have any special reason to derive
> from this rule.

MIT license is sort special because there are lot of differents and lintian
complains. You have moved the MIT text to the bottom and it solves the problem.

> Besides these formal changes I've added an extra binary package shiping
> the example data and used these in a more verbose test.  I've also added
> a primitive manpage and upstream metadata.  If you are not aware of this
> file I'd recommend to use
>
>   https://salsa.debian.org/med-team/community/package_template/-/blob/master/personalise_template
>
> in your next packaging project.  It has some templates which are usually
> quite helpful.

Sounds good. I'll take a look.

> Regarding your d/changelog file:  Please do not increase version and
> add additional changelog entries if not yet uploaded.  The first upload
> of a Debian package should just have a single entry "Initial upload"
> if you so not have any strong reason to derive from this.  You also
> should close an ITP bug with your upload.  Since I did not found any
> ITP bug for vt you can easily create one by simply calling
>
>   https://salsa.debian.org/r-pkg-team/dh-r/-/blob/master/scripts/itp_from_debian_dir
>
> (Yes, its from r-pkg-team and probably it should be moved to some more
> visible place - but it helps a lot! ;-) )

Nice, done (twice xD)
 #963050 #963051

> > PS: 'makefile' patch will be forwarded upstream
>
> Very good.
>
> Please ping me once you created the ITP bug and I'll sponsor the
> upload.

I've pushed a new changelog with ITP.

Should we add the dupplicated ITP to changelog???
It's my first ITP and I feel so bad because of dupe.

> Thanks a lot for your work on this package

Thanks for your time!!

--
Antoni Villalonga
https://friki.cat/