Re: Issue about mutual dependencies for aparapi

[add debian-java to CC]

Hi Pierre,

thanks a lot for your continuous work to get snpeff packaged finally.
This is extremely welcome.

On Thu, Jun 04, 2020 at 05:49:23PM +0200, Pierre Gruet wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I am currently beginning packaging aparapi, which is a Java API to
> execute Java code on a GPU. In Debian Med, we need it as dependency of
> the dependency apfloat of SnpEff.
>
> This package relies on a JNI (native code) package which the same
> upstream develops as aparapi-native.
> Yet aparapi and aparapi-native are somehow interleaved, as aparapi
> depends on aparapi-native *and* aparapi-native needs a small number of
> source files of aparapi to build. I understand upstream uses symlinks to
> solve this locally on their computers.
>
> Having in mind Debian packaging, what would in your opinion be the best
> solution for us? We could:
> - build a package with multiple tarballs, which would provide both the
> JNI and Java binary packages;

I admit I **personally** avoid multiple source tarballs since it does
not work with gbp (at least this is my latest information - it might be
outdated.

> - use debian/missing-sources to add the few files that are needed by the
> JNI part and be able to build the two packages one after the other;

This would be my way to cope with this in case its some kind of a
limited amount of files.  Please provide a script that enables
easy updated of these sources.

> - another solution?

Alternatively you can write a debian/get-orig-source script which you
put as debian/rules get-orig-source target (I love separate scripts
since you have plain shell syntax without special meaning of $ and there
is no need to escape end of lines.

Here you can find two template examples for such a script:

   https://salsa.debian.org/med-team/community/package_template/-/tree/master/debian

I can not decide for what option I would finally decide without a deeper
inspection of the sources.  So I do not want to recommend any prefered
option.  Both are more or less equivalent in terms of effort and should
probably work similarly nice.  Feel free to keep on asking if the given
information is not yet sufficient to draw a final decision.

> Thanks a lot for your attention,

The thanks goes perfectly to you.