Re: Your packaging of sumaclust today

Hi Andreas, hi everyone,

Le 02/04/2020 à 08:43, Andreas Tille a écrit :
> Hi Pierre,
>
> sorry for violating netiquette but we have an open culture in Debian Med
> team and private discussion should only happen for really private
> things.  So I'm quoting you in public on the Debian Med mailing list and
> would be really happy if you would answer there.
No problem about that, thanks for letting me know.
Please believe I did not intend to hide things, but only to reduce
noise. Next time I shall use the mailing list.

> On Wed, Apr 01, 2020 at 10:30:42PM +0200, Pierre Gruet wrote:
>> Hi Andreas,
>>
>> I have seen you did an upload on the package sumaclust today; I am
>> writing to let you know that I got in touch with its upstream yesterday
>> with a patch proposal, and the developer has released a new version
>> (1.0.35) fixing the Serious bug #952093 that you closed with the upload
>> of 1.0.34-2.
> Actually that bug was pretty easy by setting a simple -I option in
> Makefile.  I admit I wonder why that has build before at all.  Seems
> upstream has found a different fix since my patch did not created any
> conflict when importing and building the new upstream version.
I do not understand how that built before. We discussed this with
upstream yesterday.

>> If you want, I would be happy to package it in Debian Med Team (but I
>> would need a sponsor). If you prefer doing it yourself, please just do.
> I admit for *every* package in the Debian Med team I love to be only
> sponsor instead of doing most of the work.  So every reader is kindly
> invited to pick packages, fix bugs, write tests - whatever.  I'm by
> no means proud upon having my name inside the majority of packages as
> Uploader.  So in this case:  Yes, you are kindly invited to join me
> in maintaining sumaclust - and may be also sumatra and sumalibs (just
> uploaded to new).
>
> For the actual 1.0.35 upload I simply used the very quick solution and
> fired up routine-update[1] and just uploaded the result which took me
> less than a minute work.  So its not that I really want to do this but
> that *currently* I considered it way more straightforward than asking
> you to do it.  If you would volunteer to work on this I'd be really
> happy if you
>
>    1. Would create a salsa.d.o login
>    2. Join the Debian Med team
>    3. Read Debian Med team policy[2] in case you might not be
>       comfortable with usual workflows in team similar to
>    4. Add yourself as Uploader to all packages you would
>       volunteer to package
>    5. Review my work! (Well, I have some routine but it might
>       be wrong.  May be there is a better fix in sumaclust than
>       tweaking the Makefile in a quilt patch.)
>    6. Review sumalibs packaging - we could definitely use also
>       a dynamic library since we should avoid code duplication
>       in sumaclust and sumatra
>    7. Enjoy beeing member of the Debian Med team
>
> Thanks again for your attempt to help
Thanks for that detailed proposal. Yes, I would like to join the team
and asked for it in Salsa.
If I may add something: having read the policy some days ago, I feel it
lacks a kind of ``general habits'' section, like what you explained
above: is it casual/rude to begin working on a package that already has
uploaders who uploaded recently without asking them, for instance? The
general Debian documentation would strongly advise against doing so, but
what about team work?
You answered this concerning Debian Med Project.
Of course this is not a critics to anyone, just a newcomer's feeling.

>      Andreas.
>

> [1] https://salsa.debian.org/science-team/routine-update
> [2] https://med-team.pages.debian.net/policy/

Have a great day,