Re: Any hints about maven libs from Debian Java team (Was: IGV update - any takers?)

Am 14.11.19 um 14:28 schrieb Olivier Sallou:
[...]
>> Try to disable the build-dependency and analyze how much code is
>> depending on it. Maybe it is not necessary to get a functional IGV
>> package, otherwise someone ™ must package it.
>

> the pb is to know what is "functional". We may patch code to remove deps
> and see the final GUI.... but would not work for everythings.... And we
> do not know software enough to validate it in such case

You have to determine what is essential for IGV and what is rather
optional. In some cases there are features which are rarely required for
most uses cases or where you have just one or two classes that depend on
a specific build-dependency. Then it is often sensible to patch the code
instead of starting to package yet another project.

[...]
>> That sounds like some cloud dependency. Do you really need it?
>
> Amazon sdk for storage indeed. Do we need it ? Well it is part of code.
> Removing it, again, would imply to also remove references in menu etc...
> (or wherever is used).
>
> Lots of work to remove features, or more difficult to maintain afterward.

It's your call. Whatever is easier for you. It always boils down to
packaging a new (build-)dependency or patching the code.

Cheers,

Markus