Re: Thanks for packaging golang-github-biogo-hts-dev - help for other biology related go package needed

On Thu, Apr 18, 2019 at 2:36 AM Andreas Tille <tille@debian.org> wrote:
> > Libraries written in Go are packaged for Debian with the only purpose
> > of building other Go programs for Debian.
>
> The task med-bio-dev is for developers of biological applications (not
> for users).  It recommends bioperl, biopython, biojava and bioruby.  I
> think it is perfectly in line to recommend golang-*-dev packages that
> are dealing with biological problems.  Please give me some actual
> reasons why this should not make sense.

Forget to copy another section on
https://go-team.pages.debian.net/packaging.html

 The rationale behind this decision is:

 By using go get you are forced to set up the environment variable
$GOPATH which you need for other go commands (e.g. go build, go test,
etc.).

 Debian packages install files to system locations, which users cannot
modify. That means that users would not be able to upgrade packages
with the canonical go get -u <package>. Even worse, when using sudo to
forcibly modify the system files, it still would not work since no VCS
information is contained in the Debian packages.

[...]

> Is there any chance that dh-make-golang failed to detect those missing
> Build-Depends?  Will I need to

In most cases, dh-make-golang can detect Go Build-Depends, and report
if they haven't packaged. You will see warning like:

Build-Dependency "github.com/brentp/bix" is not yet available in Debian

> etc to get these packaged?  I think for the final target the user
> application vcfanno the Debian Med team is OK to maintain that
> package but for about five golang libraries it might sensible to
> put these into debian-go team space on alioth, right?

s/alioth/salsa/

It's always welcome to join pkg-go team and put packages under the
team umbrella.

You can start here https://go-team.pages.debian.net/

--
Shengjing Zhu