Re: qiime(2) had unsatisfiable dependencies in d/control

Dear Liubov,

On Tue, Mar 12, 2019 at 10:54:41AM +0200, Liubov Chuprikova wrote:
> > Thanks a lot for cleaning up behind me since I obviously did not my duty
> > as developer and installed the package before uploading it.
>
> This is also my fault since I remember me adapting d/copyright for Qiime2
> and
> thinking about adapting d/control but I forgot to do it in the end.

Thanks for trying to share the responsibility - but finally I did the
upload. ;-)

> > Since the
> > qiime package does not even install
>
> I am wondering if there is a way to check this before pushing it to salsa?

Well, pushing something broken to salsa is not a user visible problem
and in some cases I do so to discuss with others what is broken.  As
Charles pointed out the Salsa CI might help here.  I'm a bit reluctant
to switch it on for all packages since as far as I know Salsa is not
the most powerful machine and adding partly heavily build jobs to its
computing cycles might not be the best idea.

> have found here [1] how to use piuparts package for this and it worked on
> my computer. Maybe there are other options...

You are correct.  Its probably a good idea to integrate piuparts into
the upload workflow - at least before the final upload.  All this does
not free me to install the resulting debs in some form (either piuparts
or manually) before uploading and I'm quite lazy in this aspect. :-(

> > But back to the topic: You removed not only the dependencies that are
> > preventing qiime from installing successfully but also a lot of others.
> > I wonder whether Qiime2 is now independent from the lot of tools it has
> > used before.  Is there any relevant documentation or can we sneak into
> > the conda rules which might have the relevant metadata as well?
>

> I was filling in d/control according to upstream's metadata [2]. Indeed,
> there are not a lot of dependencies.

Thanks for confirming.  So I'll upload this soon to get you up and
running with q2cli (thanks for pushing!)

> > For
> > instance I cloned the bioconda repository on Github[1] but it only
> > contains rules for qiime version 1.9.1[2].  So my question is:  If
> > Qiime2 is propagating the installation via Conda is there some other
> > repository containing the conda metadata? I could imagine that we can
> > learn from this about how to properly craft our dependencies.
>
> Qiime2 is provided by anaconda in some strange way [3], I wasn't able to
> find out their metadata.

Hmmm, I was hoping that the conda Git repository I was using would be
complete. :-(