Fwd: Re: [Question #678573]: Failure to sync Debian-Med packages to Ubuntu

Hi,

I also received this follow-up from Ubuntu Launchpad: Seems our only option would be to back-port the new versions to get them into 18.04.

This is one reason why people stop using packaged versions and compile the latest version from source themselves or use Bioconda:

(bioconda3)root@beluga:~# lsb_release -d
# Name Version Build Channel abyss 1.5.2 boost1.61_0 bioconda abyss 1.5.2 boost1.61_1 bioconda abyss 1.5.2 boost1.61_2 bioconda ... abyss 2.1.3 h02d93b8_0 bioconda abyss 2.1.4 h02d93b8_0 bioconda abyss 2.1.5 h02d93b8_0 bioconda

Using Debian-Med imports to Ubuntu 18.04 LTS I'm stuck with:

root@beluga:~# apt policy abyss
abyss:
  Installed: 2.0.2-3
  Candidate: 2.0.2-3
  Version table:
 *** 2.0.2-3 500
        500 http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu bionic/multiverse amd64 Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

I really don't want to base Bio-Linux on bleeding-edge Ubuntu 19.04 just to get updated versions of certain bioinformatics packages...

Although it might be an unpopular view on this list, I really think we need to discuss openly why Bioconda was developed and what it's good at.

Bye,

  Tony.

mob. +44(0)7985 078324        mailto:tony.travis@minke-informatics.co.uk
--- Begin Message ---
Your question #678573 on Ubuntu changed:

Manfred Hampl proposed the following answer:
abyss version 2.1.5-4 is available in Ubuntu disco (development version, to be published in April).
Similar for metaphlan2 version 2.7.8-1

Versions in older Ubuntu releases are updated to the newest version only in specific cases.
This is somewhat similar to Debian, where packages in jessie and stretch aren't automatically updated either.

--
If this answers your question, please go to the following page to let us
know that it is solved:

If you still need help, you can reply to this email or go to the
following page to enter your feedback:

You received this question notification because you asked the question.

--- End Message ---