Re: Fate of Bio::Perl newbie module?

On Wed, Nov 27, 2019 at 04:07:56PM +0000, Carnë Draug wrote:

> > Thanks for the introduction.  For me as a non-Perl programmer that's way
> > to complex since even if I make it through the procedure I could not
> > take over any maintenance of a Perl module.
>
> I didn't realise you were asking instructions for you.

I did not.  I just wanted to declare explicitly that I can not do
it since I might have triggered the impression that I can take over
everything (which I'm doing for lots of orphaned Debian packages).

> I wrote them
> thinking of someone that could maintain a Perl module.

+1
Thanks for doing so anyway.

> > If the answer is no, what do we do to salvage packages like prokka and
> > possibly others since it seems the old bioperl is broken appart that
> > strongly that other packages relying on it will be broken as well. Is
> > the answer that we revert the version bump any rely on the old
> > monolithic bioperl or should we talk about the problem with upstreams of
> > prokka (and may be others) to change their code to only use maintained
> > bioperl modules?
>
> On Perl, a distribution will depend on a set of modules not on other
> distributions.  So something like roary does not list the BioPerl
> distribution as dependency, it lists modules like Bio::SeqIO.  So as
> long as roary keeps using maintained modules, meaning released, it
> will work, no matter which way bioperl gets split apart.
>
> I think speaking with upstream of prokka, roary, and others may be
> best approach since this is not a Debian only problem.  All their
> users will face the same issue.  As perl programmers and users of
> those modules they are in a good position to take over maintenance of
> the bioperl modules they need which them someone on Debian Med team
> could package.  Or they can replace their use of the unmaintained
> bioperl modules.

I fully agree here that upstream should deal with this in an ideal
world.

> I'm sorry I can't offer more help than comments, opinion, and
> direction if you want.

That's perfectly fine - thanks for it