Re: mcl package tests

Hi Saira,

On Thu, Jul 11, 2019 at 02:28:34PM +0100, Saira Hussain wrote:
> > nice to observe your progress with mcl.  While also beeing not a trivial
> > task you seem to went way smoother now!  I'm really happy about this.
> >
> Thank you! It feels really rewarding from my side as well, than I can feel
> that it all makes much more sense now and the time I spent earlier searching
> and understanding things, proves to worth it.

:-)
Nice you see it that way!

> > Thanks for that description.  I'd recommend you add this to
> > debian/tests/data/README.  Please `git pull` first since I did some changes.
> >
> Done.

I've seen this commit.  Thanks for it.

> > > p.s. Andreas: I don't need to include the testing files anymore, as I am
> > > creating my own, user tests as described above.
> >
> > I'm not fully sure whether I understand your question.  If the question
> > is:  Currently the repository contains data that can be reconstructed
> > by the provided scripts but they are not really need for the final test
> > than yes, you can remove these.  But please leave the scripts to
> > reproduce the final test data and also add the procedure to the README
> > file.

Its not yet sure for me whether we could for instance the file
    debian/tests/data/diamond_result
since while it was used to create protein_graphs.txt which is used in
run-unit-tests it is not used itself in the test.  Similarly it seems
orfs.gff is not needed in the final test.  So we can reduce the payload
of the package by removing those data that should be easily recreatable
but are not actually needed.

> > I have commited a change where I moved the data to the mcl-doc package.
> > The rationale is that we do not want to bloat users machines with data
> > that are not needed to simply run the program.  Those users who want the
> > documentation might like to run also the test as an example - thus the
> > data are provided as examples (as well as the test script read to run on
> > users machines).
> >
> Yes that is very clear, thank you!

Good.

> Thanks

You are welcome.  From my point of view the package is ready for
uploading if the "deletion of unnecessary payload" question is
clarified.

BTW, for your next package:  When you start doing changes please do a

    dch --team

which creates a new changelog entry.  This informs other team members
that there work is ongoing on that package and you can record your
changes (most probably just "Add autopkgtest" - but may be more).

Please let me know if you need more advise to pick the next package.