Re: libmurmurhash: help required before RFS

Hi Fabian,

On Tue, Jul 09, 2019 at 12:26:13PM +0200, Fabian Klötzl wrote:
> It's been a while, but I finally managed to package v1.5 of libmurmurhash.
> The most important changes is that upstream now comes with autotools.

Ahhh.  That's convenient.

> Furthermore, I marked a few functions as private (PMurHash_*). This changes
> the public API and thus required a SONAME bump. Is it ok to just remove the
> names from d/libmurmurhash2.symbols or should they instead be marked as
> #MISSING?

I usually remove the #MISSINGs.  I do not see any practical relevance.

> For some reason dh_missing complains that murmurhash.3 and libmurmurhash.la
> aren't properly installed. However, inspecting the .deb files show that the
> manpages exist in the package. Can I just ignore these warnings?

The .la file is missing intentionally and the missing manpage seems to be
a false positive.

> In theory, libmurmurhash also supports an auto package test but I have yet
> to figure out how that is done.

You mean how that is done in general or for this specific package?

I've seen you added debian/test dir.  The scripts we are using in our
autopkgtest template you can easily run the run-unit-tests script on
your local machine which simplifies debugging.  If this hint is not
sufficient please be more verbose what help you might need.

Thanks a lot for your work on this.  Its now probably time to get
rid of all those murmurhash code copies in our packages.