Re: request for r-cran packages

On 20/03/2019 16:32, Andreas Tille wrote:
On Wed, Mar 20, 2019 at 04:23:44PM +0100, Tony Travis wrote:
Probably trying to do too many things at once just now :-|

Please don't spend any time packaging the R libraries I requested, because
I'm going to use R 3.5 from now on.

Sorry about the false alarm, requesting packaging.

Wait a moment:  pique just needs some R packages, right?  A Debian
package of a GNU R package always builds against the latest packaged
version of R which is currently 3.5.3.  The three packages I uploaded to
new are built against this.  The packaging process itself does not
depend on the R version (funnily enough the only person who thinks so
is the R maintainer but he is de facto wrong in nearly all practical
cases and there were some flames about this ;-) ).

So I guess it was correct that I uploaded the three R packages, right?

Hi, Andreas.

The problem lies with the Ubuntu 'Universe' repository, where all the R dependencies are for R version 3.4, even in Ubuntu 18.04 LTS (bionic).

These, as with the out-of-date "Abyss" package in Ubuntu 18.04 all seem to be consequences of the same "no rolling release" policy of Ubuntu and do not reflect in any way a criticism of Debian. I've got backports enabled, but it makes no difference. As Steffen said, in an ideal world we would not need to use the PPA's, but as a practical way forward we need to because Ubuntu 18.04 is not going to sync with the latest Debian packages that, as you said, _are_ using R 3.5.

CRAN is quite clear that R 3.5 is the supported version in Ubuntu bionic and, I admit, I didn't know that until I checked today when one of my colleagues in India was having problems installing PIQUE under Ubuntu 18.04 and I started to investigate. In general, I go with whatever is in the Ubuntu repositories but, in this case, the repositories are out of date with CRAN and I need to use Michael Rutter's PPA's.

Sorry again about the false alarm asking Debian-Med to package the three R libraries that I needed. They are fully supported in the CRAN 3.5 PPA.

Hope this doesn't put you off packaging PIQUE!

Bye,

  Tony.

mob. +44(0)7985 078324        mailto:tony.travis@minke-informatics.co.uk