Digressions (Re: Bio-Linux 9)

Le Sat, Jun 23, 2018 at 11:45:04AM +0200, Steffen Möller a écrit :

> And if we just remove that red section? After all, we do have ITPs for
> what red is meant to express. So, I would rather have red as an indication
> of a delta to conda - or to bio-linux to stay in the thread.

Hi Steffen,

I think that it is a good idea.  The red section is somehow a relic from
the past because our growth made it unmaintainable, because the Debian
Med developer community is broader and collectively we have a good
intuition of what should be packaged next, and as you wrote later
in your email, because the added value in Debian is in integration,
which translates to the keyword "workflow" in Debian Med.

> To digress a bit - to care for single packages is a bit from the past. It
> is a requirement, but nothing that a distribution can sell.

Very much agreed.  I see how bioconda is slowly overtaking us, just by
providing an essential feature: the ability to install software via a
package manager without having to ask a busy sysadmin to run a sudo apt
install command.  But most of our packages do not have pre/post-inst/rm
scripts, and their contents could be dropped seamlessly in the
appropriate XDG directories of local users, had we the tool.  And we
have a fairly comprehensive (but not exhaustive) collections of versions
available in snaphsot.debian.org, with an increasing coverage of
autpkgtests that would allow to doublecheck that mixing packages from
previous releases would still work.  Altogether, we have an excellent
base for providing whole workflows to local users, we just need some
people to do it, and I have the impression that it requires to be able
to spend full-time attention to the project at the beginning, which is
hard for everybody who already have routine tasks generated by their
main contribution to Debian Med...  Oh well, I hope I will eventually
manage to join a Debian Med sprint :)

Have a nice Sunday,

--
Charles Plessy