RE: ImageJ, ImageJ1, and ImageJ2 entries in omics tools

Hi David,

Concerning the link to https://imagej.net/ImageJ, what I wanted to show you is not about flavours, but you can notice in the first row of the table (ImageJ2), third column, that they explicitely wrote that developers of ImageJ2 are "ImageJ developers". So, in our mind, this is the same lab that developped both tools.

The confusion, here, seems to araise from the mix of ImageJ and ImageJ1, which are not the same it seems...

So, if I understood well:

- ImageJ has been developped by developpers in 1997 inspired by NIH image,
- ImageJ1 is ImageJ, but maintained by another (unique) developper,
- ImageJA is ImageJ1 corrected to be Git-compatible (maintained by both ImageJ and ImageJ1 developpers),
- ImageJ2 is developped by the same developpers as ImageJ (not ImageJ1), based on ImageJA.

Whow ! That's complicated !

So, do we actually need 4 entries ?  ;)

As I said, we are not experts in all fields so if you are an expert and you say that 2 entries would be better, we will discuss internally to add a new one. No problem. Today, the best reason I see to add a new entry, definitively, is the license. Because this is particularly relevant for the tool use. But if you say that 2 entries would be useless, we keep 1...

We will anyway discuss about this internally (due to the complicated history of the tool) and come back to you with a decision. I note that both ImageJ1 and ImageJ2 are still in development.

I also note that we already have Fiji as a different entry, which is just ImageJ.... with some plugins already pre-installed. Same for ImageJFX (new interface).

Best,
Fabien