Re: OUTREACHY APPLICANT

Hi Rudra,

On 16.10.18 19:28, Rudra Jaiswal wrote:
Hi,
 I'm Rudra, previously I have done research on analysis on vulnerabilities in android application and I have built android applications my interest biological application is more related to biology and yes though it more technical I would like to contribute as much as I can.

To become _real_ biological you would need to find someone nearby to you who is working somewhere in a biological lab. These days, these groups _all_ have something that does not fit an Excel table and they need IT help for that - DNA/RNA sequencing, expression data, molecular dynamics, ... . I propose you contact them. Once you have been there and sniffed a bit of their vocabulary, you likely find something close to your heart.

For some more immediate success/frustration, there are several tools out there with which one can inspect the human genome, or several human genomes to find differences. A very prominent one is IGV https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/igv, which Andreas and Olivier are currently struggling to get going again - with a new version available and Java not being the Java it was a few months ago. This is very technical at the moment and at the same time exposes you to some key technical terms that you need to find your way around. Also, anybody addressing sequencing projects, like with the Nanopore (which is a new somewhat more affordable technology also for non-professionals) would encounter what you helped to get going again.

Andreas, Oliver, can you somehow involve Rudra in what you are doing? Otherwise I find something :o)

Cheers,

Steffen