Bio-Linux' Caftools -> experimental Fwd: Processing of caftools_2.0.2-1_amd64.changes

Hello Tony,

This is another Bio-Tools package. I kind of like to have it, but I tend
to think this is mostly of historic interest. This does not mean that we
should not have it, very much the opposite, it was once instrumental for
getting the worm genome together, and many others. Because of the strong
educational interest this package should have, the documentation is
important which I could not find in the package. Also the man pages are
missing. Could you possibly contact upstream about it? And maybe also
ask for directions on how the history of Sanger's Human Genome Project
can be preserved also on the software side? This could well become a
nice paper in its own right, I tend to think. And maybe an dedicated
sprint at Sanger on that matter would be a good idea.

The source tree has some fragments of acedb with it (all developed by
the same kind of people) which today is GPLed on
https://github.com/richarddurbin/acedb/ . But that is something new. I
would guess that there is some interest to also have the CAFTOOLS GPLed.
The restrictive nature of their source code is likely because of their
competition with Celera at the time and has no meaning today. Could you
hence also please ask about a license change?

This has all time till after your vacation :)

Best,

Steffen