Re: [Bio-linux-list] Bio-Linux 9

On 13/08/18 14:31, Simon Wagstaff wrote:
> Hi Will,
> This is great news.
>
> Very much appreciate the effort you and Tony continue to put into the project.
>
> If I can help in any way please let me know.

Hi, Simon.

Thanks very much for your interest in Bio-Linux and your offer to help.

At present, Will is creating a meta-package for "bio-linux-desktop" with
help from Andreas Tille and the Debian-Med team. Our plan is to migrate
ALL the upstream bioinformatics packages present in Bio-Linux 8 to the
versions packaged and maintained by the Debian-Med team and drop all the
obsolete NERC/NERC repositories because we don't have access to them
since Tim Booth left the project. In any case, We have worked with the
Debian-Med team for many years. I attended the Debian-Med 'Sprint' in
Barcelona in February, where I put forward plans for Bio-Linux 9 to be
based on Ubuntu-MATE 18.04 + a subset of .deb packages from "med-bio":

> https://wiki.debian.org/Sprints/2018/DebianMed2018
Please join the Debian-Med team if you want to help:

> https://wiki.debian.org/DebianMed

I've CC'ed your message to the Bio-Linux mailing and Debian-Med lists in
case anyone else wants to help create the "bio-linux-desktop" and
"bio-linux-server" metapackages. So far, we've successfully remastered
the Ubuntu-MATE iso with packages from Debian-Med using "customiser":

> https://github.com/kamilion/customizer

However, we've not yet managed to enable 'persistence' on a 'live' USB.

Thanks,

  Tony.

mob. +44(0)7985 078324        mailto:tony.travis@minke-informatics.co.uk