Fwd: Re: Help with new package version?

Forgot to Cc this to the list.

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: Re: Help with new package version?
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2018 08:44:23 -0400
From: Benjamin Redelings <benjamin.redelings@gmail.com>
To: Andreas Tille <andreas@an3as.eu>

Hi Andreas,

    Sorry for the delay in responding.  To clarify, I wasn't thinking
of maintaining the /debian/ directory in upstream git, but more that I
was trying to follow the directions here:
https://honk.sigxcpu.org/projects/git-buildpackage/manual-html/gbp.import.upstream-git.html

    If I understand you correctly, it is easier to simply import
tarballs into the salsa repo than to somehow use git to pull upstream
commits into the salsa repo.  This has the downside that I have to
actually make source tarballs solely for this purpose. But on the
positive side it would establish a clear namespace separation between
e.g. the upstream tags and the debian tags. Also it would be the
standard workflow for debian-med.  Am I understanding things correctly here?

    Pending answer to the above question, yes, can you please create a
pure packaging-related repository?  Once I understand how to perform the
gbp magic on this new repository I can be more helpful in releasing new
versions.  I will probably ask more questions, but you seem to respond
pretty quickly, so I guess I should just ask.

    thank you for your help!

-BenRI