Re: Please consider free license for segemehl

Hi Carnë,

On Tue, Apr 25, 2017 at 01:03:34PM +0100, Carnë Draug wrote:
> On 25 April 2017 at 12:52, Andreas Tille <andreas@an3as.eu> wrote:
> > Hi again,
> >
> > I'd like to refresh my question about a free license for segemehl.
> > While the current release cycle for Debian 9 Stretch is closed it might
> > be interesting to integrate segemehl into the next stable Debian
> > release.  I guess you remember the well thought arguments from other
> > scientists for free source code but if you want I could assemble these
> > again for your kind reconsidering.
>
> But segemehl is linked to the GNU Scientific Library which is GPL.
> Can it even be non-free software?

Good catch.  At least the haarz.x target needs GSL.  While haarz.x is not
build in the default target I tried this and it has shown that it does
not even build with recent libgsl-dev 2.3:

segemehl/segemehl(master) $ make haarz.x
gcc -Wall -pedantic -std=c99 -g -O3 -DFIXINSMALL -DFIXINBACKSPLICE -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -DDBGNFO -DSHOWALIGN -DDBGLEVEL=0 -DPROGNFO -Isrc -Ilibs -Ilibs/sufarray -Lsrc   -c -o libs/splines.o libs/splines.c
gcc -Wall -pedantic -std=c99 -g -O3 -DFIXINSMALL -DFIXINBACKSPLICE -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -DDBGNFO -DSHOWALIGN -DDBGLEVEL=0 -DPROGNFO -Isrc -Ilibs -Ilibs/sufarray -Lsrc   -c -o libs/snvsplines.o libs/snvsplines.c
libs/snvsplines.c: In function ‘getcutoff’:
libs/snvsplines.c:196:5: error: too many arguments to function ‘gsl_bspline_deriv_eval’
     gsl_bspline_deriv_eval(xi, 0, dB, fit.bw, dbw);
     ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
In file included from libs/splines.h:18:0,
                 from libs/snvsplines.c:37:
/usr/include/gsl/gsl_bspline.h:107:1: note: declared here
 gsl_bspline_deriv_eval(const double x,
libs/snvsplines.c:213:5: error: too many arguments to function ‘gsl_bspline_deriv_eval’
     gsl_bspline_deriv_eval(xi, 2, dB, fit.bw, dbw);

I'm not sure in how far it is legal to ship code depending from GPL
software if this is not part of the default build.

Its an interesting argument to free the code to enable people making it
compatible to latest GSL anyway.

Carnë, you can find some preliminary packaging here:

[1] https://anonscm.debian.org/git/debian-med/segemehl.git