Re: SOFA Debian package

Dear Hugo,

On Wed, Mar 29, 2017 at 02:54:45PM +0200, Hugo Talbot wrote:
> Guillaume Paran (in cc.) and I are in charge of the SOFA consortium . This consortium focus on the coordination of the developments, the animation of the open-source community and the release of SOFA. Now regular stable releases are generated by the consortium every 6 months.

Thanks for contacting me.  I'm taking the freedom to quote you on a
public mailing list in my answer since the packaging of sofa is done
by a packaging team which is coordinated on this list.

> We recently noticed the package of SOFA that you created more several years ago, am I right ?

I have done some uploads fixing some issues on the package since the
original maintainer Dominique Belhachemi left our team due to different
interests.

> Is this package still active ?

Sofa is distributed in the next stable Debian release but I would
neither consider it up to date nor actively maintained.  The last
changes were done by Gert Wollny in our packaging SVN (Gert, could
you please commit the latest status - it says UNRELEASED currently).

> If not, would you be interested to reactivate this package ? We would be very happy to help on this. With the regular release of SOFA sources and binaries, we believe the maintenance and update of the package could be eased.

We would be really happy if somebody from upstream developers could step
in since this would most probably be the best way to provide high
quality packages.

> Do not to share your opinion or any further information.

I would suggest the following:

  1. I'll move the current packaging from SVN to Git (if this meets
     your preference - for most people this is the case).
  2. You become a member of the packaging team which enables you
     commit permissions to this repository
  3. You update / enhance the packaging to fit the needs of your
     users (which I can only guess since I'm no user of sofa)
  4. We (for instance Gert or I) upload the package to the
     Debian mirror if you are happy with it.

To support newcomers to Debian packaging we have some procedure called
"Mentoring of the Month"[1].  You are perfectly welcome to learn the
specifics of packaging in a MoM project.  The documentation about
Debian Med specific things (how or team is organised etc.) are explained
in the Debian Med team policy[2].  Things like becoming a team member
(see item 2. above) are explained there.

> Best wishes from Strasbourg,

Nice city. :-)

[1] https://wiki.debian.org/DebianMed/MoM
[2] https://debian-med.alioth.debian.org/docs/policy.html