Re: Help needed for pandas bug: Could anybody verify the suspicion that tzdata might have some influence?

On 28/03/17 10:37, Andreas Tille wrote:
PS: Yaroslav, you know my opinion about using Vcs outside of debian.org and
    deriving from policies that are widely established.  Currently
      git://github.com/neurodebian/pandas.git
    is not even featuring the latest uploads - last changelog entry is

pandas (0.19.2-2) unstable; urgency=medium

  * Exclude a number of tests while running on non-amd64 platforms
    due to bugs in numpy/pandas

 -- Yaroslav Halchenko <debian@onerussian.com>  Wed, 11 Jan 2017 12:13:05 -0500

    I'm sorry to repeat myself but you are not creating a welcoming
    environment for people who intend to help.

This sentiment is shared on my side too.

It was very disappointing to discover that nipype will not be part of Stretch due to an RC, which looks like many of those the team fixed during the Numpy 1.12 migration [1]. Besides, the packaging repository is quite frankly a mess [2] and is outdated.

Looking at the other packages maintained by NeuroDebian and affected by RCs [3] (which include nipy, dipy and pandas), the repository layout is inconsistent from one package to the next [4, 5, 6]. IMO, as an experienced packager who has contributed to many different teams, this completely cancels out the benefits of having packages team-maintained in the first place.

I am wondering whether NeuroDebian should instead be focusing on maintaining high-quality backports of neuroimaging software for supported Debian and Ubuntu releases (a goal it currently fulfills very well), and leave the main packaging effort to other Debian packaging teams (Science, Med, Python...).

[1] https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=848777
[2] https://anonscm.debian.org/git/pkg-exppsy/nipype.git
[3] https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?which=maint&data=team%40neuro.debian.net&archive=no&pend-exc=done&sev-inc=critical&sev-inc=grave&sev-inc=serious
[4] https://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/pkg-exppsy/dipy.git