Re: SVN to Git migration status

On 01.12.17 11:23, Andreas Tille wrote:
Hi,

as you know we need to be prepared that when Alioth is moved to some new
system SVN will not be available any more.  So I was busy to migrate
close to all our packages from SVN to Git.

That was a tremendous effort. Many thanks, Andreas. I am confident
the gitlab environment when it eventually comes will attract many
new contributions. I am confident this was worth it.

   Close to all means we have
the follwing remainings:

     r-cran-rlumshiny (Git repository created but I'd like to upload the
                       latest version and some new dependencies are just
                       missing)
     mgltools
This is on me.

My motivation for the latter is quite low due to the following reasons:

   * RC-buggy (#855494 :-()
This should have been addressed with that one upload of mine that apparently had been lost before when the bug was addressed by upstream about two years ago.
   * Inclear situation what is latest upstream
      ( https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=855494#40 )
Indeed.
   * I never liked the split of one upstream source into lots of SVN
     checkouts in different source packages.  Those who are working on
     that set of packages need to do stupid repeated work for no good
     reason and I really regret that I added myself as Uploader which
     seems to be a good reason for other Uploaders to leave with this
     kind of boring work they introduced in the first place
Well. It is not _that_ easy since in general our ftpmasters like to have this all separated.
   * My motivation is generally lower to work on non-free packages

Well. Yes.

Best,

Steffen

I would really love if somebody else would volunteer to take over these
packages to migrate them from SVN to Git.  The fact that somebody is
willing to spent the time to work on the packages would be a proof that
there is some real interest and we should not drop them at all.  The
migration process is described here

    https://debian-med.alioth.debian.org/docs/policy.html#subversion-to-git

You need to patch the onvert_svn_2_git and replace

    export SVN_URL=svn://svn.debian.org/svn/debian-med/trunk/packages/

by

    export SVN_URL=svn://svn.debian.org/svn/debian-med/trunk/packages/mgltools

since the packages are in a subdirectory.

What else do I intend to migrate?

We have several unfinished packaging stuff and I intend to check each
single one whether it might make sense to move it to Git.  Our tasks
pages are displaying this information and I'd love to keep it but a
general review makes probably sense.  So we should be left with a
basically empty SVN after the cleanup.  Every hint about software which
is worth moving to Git or simply can be removed from SVN would be
welcome.

BTW, since we now have removed nearly all existing packages I intend to
remove the remaining dirs containing the README.status files to help
keeping a better overview.  Every interested developer should know how
to find the new VCS location even without those README.status files.