Re: [Outreachy] Hi all!

Hi,

I'm a bit in a hurry, thus the short but hopefully helpful answer:

On Fri, Oct 13, 2017 at 11:55:56AM +0300, ka lou wrote:
> My name is Kalou Katerina and i am an Outreachy applicant for Round 15 for
> the 'continuous integration for Biological integration in Debian' project.
> I am from Athens , Greece and right now i am living in Genova , Italy where
> in a few months i will finish my Biorobotics PhD degree. I just wanted to
> indroduce myself to all of you and tell you thank you in advance for all
> your precious help!
>
> I am intresting in running tests for either  the poa or the pyscanfcs
> package - the second one is more difficult, i think? Also , if anyone else
> of the participants is working on the same packages please let me know!
>
> I am a linux user for years , however i do not have actively contribute
> before to an open source program and i am not very familiar with Debian
> packaging. (my programming language knowledge includes Matlab ,Python and a
> basic level of C++).

Nice. Welcome here!

> The last couple of days i browsed the mailing list's
> content that led me to the debci documentation
> <https://ci.debian.net/doc/index.html> site. I try to implement now these
> steps. I installed the required debci packages in my Linux machine. I am
> going through the tutorial - rIght now i try to 'configure the whitelist'
> as explained.
>
> I have one question : all the examples in the part of the tutorial for
> setting up the development environment (i.e sudo apt-get install rerun
> ruby-foreman apt-cacher-ng
> ​ |
> moreutils lighttpd rabbitmq-server) are relative to the specific package of
> 'rubby'? So when i want to set up the environment for running test in
> another package i will have to change these commands accordingly?
>
> I am sorry for the *naive* questions... If there is also any other tutorial
> in the subject please let me know!!

Every naive question is fine (and this is not a naive one!)

For simplicity reasons:  I'd recommend to follow for instance the here
suggested tophat example.  Just do

     apt-get source tophat

and have a look at tophat*/debian/tests/run-unit-test

If you can craft such a script that runs on your local machine
successfully that's the first simple way to test.  Everything else like
running it in a minimum virtual machine can be tested afterwards (or
somebody else steps in here for a more detailed explanation).

Hope this helps