Re: Proposal for Registry-display on task pages

On 11.10.17 21:29, Andreas Tille wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 11, 2017 at 06:20:59PM +0200, Steffen Möller wrote:
>>> One question regarding the 'NA' values.  I'd consider it more readable
>>> if we would just print nothing if there is no entry available.  Or am I
>>> missing something?
>> I put them down internally to record that one of us had looked for it. Our
>> task list is likely the source for the maintainers of the respective
>> registry to get the missing bit curated. I would therefore like to
>> show that. And frankly, it is a bit of effort to show that there is no
>> such entry (or that the cognate entry refers to a different tool) and we
>> should take some pride in that.
>>
>> How about putting the "NA" (or should it better read "N/A" since we
>> are not in R ?) in a hyperlink of a query URL of the respective target
>> registry? We would then be userfriendly again.
> Well, as far as I know we have no content to point the user to.
We know the query URL.
> So why
> pointing anywhere?  I keep on wondering whether I'm missing the point.
It saves some time for the user and you did not feel good about just
showing the "N/A".
> If a user want to do a query why should we fake to hold a hand while we
> are clueless ourselves?

After some time there should not be much N/As to show at all. Showing
the NAs is a bit of an embarrassment for the respective database, so I
expect that showing N/As will help to get them fixed. And if we show the
NA but the user follows the link and finds something, then there is more
of a chance to get a bug report suggesting an update of our then
outdated reference. Which is what we want.

But just as I said - there should not be many NAs after some time, no
need to talk much about it. I am happy for every pointer that surfaces.

Steffen