Re: New commit to dicompyler debian repository

Hi Vojtech,

I take the freedom to move this mail to the public mailing list where it
belongs to.  Please use it in future as well since here are reading
people who one one hand care about this and on the other hand are
potentially way more competent in the field of medical imaging than I
am.  I also like to refer to a blog post of our DPL about writing mails
in private[1] (he is not even answering before you are posting in
public. ;-) )

On Wed, Sep 20, 2017 at 12:34:25AM +0200, Vojtech Kulvait wrote:
> Hi Andreas,
> I have gone through the code to fix most portions of dicompyler that I can
> and at the same time removed my junk and debug code. That has been done and
> dicompyler is now able at least to visualize some RT data when used in
> stretch (I have not tested it in sid). Patches are now logically organized.
> I think now the package should be compiled and added to Debian as suggested.

Thanks a lot for your work on this.  Its really appreciated and is most
probably saving dicompyler for Debian (and other Linux distros).

> The matplotlib fix has been left as it was when you modified it. The format
> of pydicom read has changed and in trurn that affects that the structures
> are not even loaded nor DVH is computed, see
> http://pydicom.readthedocs.io/en/stable/pydicom_user_guide.html Effectively
> it means that the code in that matplotlib patch is never executed in
> current state of dicompyler and I can not test it.

OK.

> I believe that changes due to pydicom can be also fixed, the natural way is
> to utilize dicompyler-core code but that is lot of additional work. This
> work should be rather done in upstream anyway.

My personal impression is that you became upstream now.  I would
strongly recommend contacting upstream and ask that you will be added to
the Github team (I do not recommend to fork to avoid confusion).  Please
apply your patches there and create a new release.  This will help
*every* user of dicompyler (not only Debian users).

BTW, if you are editing debian/changelog please use

    dch

It prevents you from commiting brokenly formated files and uses the
correct date format.

Thanks again for your work

      Andreas.

[1] https://chris-lamb.co.uk/posts/dont-ask-your-questions-in-private