Re: Strange behavior with bppsuite package

Dear Julien,

On Tue, Sep 12, 2017 at 02:50:37PM +0200, Julien Yann Dutheil wrote:
> > just to remind you:  This is a perfectly valid question for the Debian
> > Med list ...
>
> Ok, thanks. Just felt like this must be such a stupid thing... I really did
> try to find information online though.

That's fine anyway and since it might be interesting for newcomers.  Our
friendly DPL has published a blog post[1] which I fully subscribe.  So
if I next time receive a private question I'll just direct to this page.

> > In multi-binary packages (bppsuite and bppsuite-examples) you
> > need to specify into what package a file from debian/tmp should
> > be installed to.  I have added debian/bppsuite.install which
> > does the job.  Just git pull.
> >
> Ok, then bppsuite should be working then.

OK, uploaded.

> But physamp is also multibinary,
> so I added the corresponding physamp.install and physamp.manpages files in
> the debian dir.

No, sorry, please re-read what I wrote.  While it is perfectly fine to
add those files physamp is not a "multi-binary package" (despite it
contains more than one executable files).  I have given the example of
the two binary *deb* packages (created out of one source) above.  The
installation of some softare goes to

    PREFIX=$(CURDIR)/debian/tmp/usr

first.  Than debhelper tries to do something sensible.  If there is only
one binary package it is sensible to put the content of
$(CURDIR)/debian/tmp into the package.  If there is more than one
binary package debhelper has no sensible algorithm to decide, which file
has to go into what binary package.  So you need to tell debhelper what
file to move where.

I hope this makes clear why physamp was fine but bppsuite was missing
the executable files.

[1] https://chris-lamb.co.uk/posts/dont-ask-your-questions-in-private