Re: debian/upstream/metadata: registry item for the Blends' task pages?

Hi Charles,

On 12.08.17 11:31, Charles Plessy wrote:
> Le Sat, Jul 29, 2017 at 07:45:23PM +0200, Steffen Möller a écrit :
>> In a direct email to Charles (asking if "Registry" was OK after becoming
>> aware of the reserved keyword "Registration" with a different semantics,
>> "Catalog" would be an alternative) I had raised the idea that we could
>> possibly use the same concept to assign packages to task pages of any
>> blend. This seems likely to simplify the packager's workflow since all
>> information about the package is in the same place.
>>
>> The format could be
>>
>>     Registry:
>>        - Name: Blend
>>           Entry: med/ngs
> Hi Steffen and everybody,
>
> sorry to be slow to answer !
>
> I think that the format you propose is fine.

That is good to hear.

> I wonder if this metadata would be even more useful via AppStream.  From
> https://appstream.debian.org/:
>
> 	AppStream is a cross-distro XML format to provide metadata for software
> 	components and to assign unique identifiers to software.

I was not aware of it. So, yes, it should go to upstream. I just do not
fully grasp how to get it in and - is not everything in
upstream/metadata something for appstream? Also, from what I got, this
shoud all be redistributed with the upstream source tree and not be kept
within Debian to the degree I got this right.

Would a CWL-based tool description something along those lines? What
about the upcoming EDAM annotation of our tools? Are OMICtools and
bio.tools or what SciCrunch is doing a competition to appstream?

Anyway, definitely interesting to see this.

Best,

Steffen