Re: Outreachy 2017 (Round 14)

Hi Nadiya,

On Mon, Mar 27, 2017 at 02:52:25PM -0700, Nadiya Sitdykova wrote:
> 1) Yes, I mean after I tried
>
>   apt-get source r-cran-rcppgsl
>   LC_ALL=C R --no-save < r-cran-rcppgsl*/tests/doRUnit.R
>
> There was an error "gsl-config not found". Unfortunately, I didn't save
> that log and can't reproduce it now =(

I was able to reproduce the issue in a clean chroot and have filed bug
#858882.  Thanks for spotting this issue.

> 2) I executed autopkgtest . -- null and run-unit-test failed after linker
> call, I saved that log so it's attached

It seems that mapDamage is somehow creating some source code and builds
it.  It might be interesting to understand what's really happening behind
the scened and what plugin created this source code that starts with

   // includes from the plugin

The missing libraries can be found in three packages:

$ apt-file search /liblapack.a
libatlas-base-dev: /usr/lib/atlas-base/atlas/liblapack.a
liblapack-dev: /usr/lib/lapack/liblapack.a
libopenblas-dev: /usr/lib/openblas-base/liblapack.a

$ apt-file search /libblas.a
libatlas-base-dev: /usr/lib/atlas-base/atlas/libblas.a
libblas-dev: /usr/lib/libblas/libblas.a
libopenblas-dev: /usr/lib/openblas-base/libblas.a

I admit I personally have not yet found out the difference between these
but I think to decide this fits perfectly into the topic of the
outreachy project to evaluate those options regarding performance issues

The solution is probably some set of alternative dependencies in the
mapdamage package like

   Depends: ...
            libatlas-base-dev | libopenblas-dev | libblas-dev | libblas.so
            libatlas-base-dev | libopenblas-dev | liblapack-dev | liblapack.so

The last alternative is obtained from the Provides field
  (see    apt-cache source package_name ).

Could you please check whether any of those alternatives enables the
test passing or whether we need to exclude one out of this list?

> 3) Done

Hmmm, I beg your pardon but I think I need to introduce you a bit into
the list policy:

  1. We assume that people who are writing here are subscribed to the
     list themselves (or tell in their mail otherwise).  So it is not
     needed to add the original poster in CC/To field.  Mail User Agents
     like mutt have a "List reply" feature - I think there is no
     equivalent in GMail web mailer.  So if it happens that you forget
     to remove the original poster from the list of receivers when
     pressing "Reply to all" nobody will blame you about this but I
     wanted to give this slight hint since on other Debian lists sometimes
     people are allergic against ignoring this rule. ;-)

  2. Usually we are doing inline quoting to better understand what the
     poster is really replying to.  When using the GMail web mailer the
     easiest way to do so is to press <Ctrl-A> (to mark the whole text)
     and than remove formatting (my interface says it is <Ctrl-\> but this
     key does not work - just press the most right icon in the lower icon
     bar locking like T_x.  This would be really helpful to enhance the
     understanding of your responses - at least when adapted to the
     reading habits on this list.

So if you wanted to tell me with "3) Done" I assume you mean you have
forwarded the issue upstream.  If yes, it would be great to add also the
URL to the issue you opened of if you reported via e-mail to always CC
this list if you contact some upstream.  Thus other team members will
know that something interesting is happening.

In summary:

  * Please investigate in the correct dependencies to finally fix the
    mapdamage test suite (specifically whether all options will work in
    general and which one is the most favourable combination regarding
    speed).

  * Please give a link to your upstream contact (or clarify what you
    have really done ;-))

Kind regards and thanks for your excellent work so far

      Andreas.