Re: Shall we develop a Debian Med Tutorial? Fwd: [BC2-conference] Call for workshop and tutorial proposals open now.

On Wed, 30 Nov 2016, Steffen Möller wrote:

> Hello,

> much like many of you I just received this invitation to come up with a
> tutorial and/or workshop for the Basel (Switzerland) conference. The
> ISMB (next time in Prague (CZ) if I recall correctly) I expect to send
> the same around any minute or I already missed it as they typically have
> deadlines in December.

> Question: Shall we? I am not so much after explaining how to prepare a
> Debian package but we should demonstrate the amazing wealth of software
> packages that are readily available to be installed and workflows that
> can be addressed with them. A key message could be that the principles
> explained in this tutorial one would be platform independent as
> VirtualBox does a decent job and also ready for clouds with Amazon and
> others. With respect to workflows I would then go and explain just any
> that is also covered by the Common Workflow Language development.

> Just ping me whoever is up for it. It is quite a bit of work and not so
> very rewarding, scientifically. We shall expect to be offered to write a
> book, which I would very much like to be something towards a
> "bioinformatics recipies" book. This kind of avoids the term "workflow".

YES!  you can also note that anyone using Debian, Ubuntu or any other
derivative, directly or in the cloud or via virtualbox/docker/whatnot
pretty much already uses "Debian Med" ;)

to accent on that you could link to other educational materials you
could find online which talk about installing anything Debian Med
related, e.g. like our http://neuro.debian.net/vm.html which
includes pointers to few youtube videos on how to get started using it.

--
Yaroslav O. Halchenko
Center for Open Neuroscience     http://centerforopenneuroscience.org