Re: Request for discussion: Is our Sprint more of a Mini-DebConf? What to have next?

On 06/15/2016 02:01 PM, Sascha Steinbiss wrote:
> Hi Steffen and all,
>
>> I was peeking into the one or other scientific collaboration of mine to
>> invite them to our next Debian Med sprint. But I could not really tell
>> much about it, yet. Besides deciding where to convene next (which to my
>> recollection is decided by someone saying loudly that he/she wants to
>> host us ... hello?)
> FYI as a side note: I have reached out to informatics people here at
> Sanger during the regular campus-wide Informatics Group Meetings by
> giving a brief talk about Debian Med and the history of the sprints and
> also trying to get an idea of who would support such an event in-house.
> In the discussion afterwards indeed some upstream developers agreed that
> this would be a good idea and would benefit the institute. However,
> there was little initiative from any particular group to approach me
> afterwards and find out how to make it work together; it was merely
> suggested to contact the Genome Campus conference centre (which might be
> on the more expensive side compared to our previous venues).
> I can try to poke some people to bring the topic back to the table.
>
>> we should possibly also lean back a bit and decide if we want to
>> change the one or other thing. This could start with the name. In my
>> perception what we are having is not so much a problem-focused
>> Sprint.
> Yes, I agree in principle.
>
>> So, what do you all think?  Would it help to officially come up with
>> some extended Sprint format? What would you change? Nothing? More
>> talks? More time?
> If the number of participants supports this, maybe some pre-allocated
> time for custom break-out sessions, to allow for some in-depth mentoring
> or bug squashing without missing group discussions or talks?
> What do you think?
More time may be difficult, depending on how our employers support this,
and would increase costs.

>> Should there possibly a second Debian Med meeting on another
>> continent than Europe?
> Sure, if there is enough interest -- especially for newcomers from
> overseas :) For now there have only been a handful of people traveling
> that far. Not sure if more would come if there was an event closer to them.
> However, I myself would probably only be able to make it if the travel
> costs are moderate as my employer won't cover that.

The matter is indeed cost. My employer often helps for low cost travel,
but going far with higher price would remove this "priviledge". And
Debian help would also be limited.

Olivier

>> With the same focus? Or more medical?
> Personally I probably wouldn't be too interested in medical or research
> applications as I tend to focus more on the technical/infrastructure
> aspect. But that's just me, YMMV. I can imagine that it might make sense
> to attract the non-core-Debian crowd as well.
+1

--
Olivier Sallou
IRISA / University of Rennes 1

gpg key id: 4096R/326D8438  (keyring.debian.org)
Key fingerprint = 5FB4 6F83 D3B9 5204 6335  D26D 78DC 68DB 326D 8438