Re: [Outreachy] You can use "Team upload" (Was: r22074 - in trunk/packages/conservation-code/trunk/debian: . tests)

Hi Andreas,

I finally found out what was wrong :)

> Problem 2. When I run svn-buildpackage with current debian/install file,
> these messages appear:
> "...
> /data/src/build-area/conservation-code-20110309.0/debian/install: 1:
> /data/src/build-area/conservation-code-20110309.0/debian/install:
> distributions: not found
> /data/src/build-area/conservation-code-20110309.0/debian/install: 2:
> /data/src/build-area/conservation-code-20110309.0/debian/install: matrix:
> not found
> /data/src/build-area/conservation-code-20110309.0/debian/install: 3:
> /data/src/build-area/conservation-code-20110309.0/debian/install:
> score_conservation: not found
> "

Are you running it from the conservation_code directory?  I personally
do not use svn-buildpackage but rather pdebuild (to build in pbuilder or
simply debuild to run on the local machine.  So the proper sequence to
build is

   apt-get source conservation-code
   cd conservation-code-20110309.0
   # copy your changes from svn to debian/ dir but
   # cd back to this dir
   pdebuild
   # or debuild

What you wrote sounds like starting in wrong dir.

> For the reasons unknown, data from matrix and distribution folders and
> score_conservation file can't be found.

I can not reproduce this.

> For now I think it's some strange
> problem with VM. Do this messages appear when you run svn-buildpackage? Or
> am I doing something wrong?

I do not think that the VM is to be blamed for this kind of error.

This strange behavior originated because of VM settings - by default I used '775' mounting mode for folders - when my VM loaded files from svn, it applied by default these permissions to files (and allowed execution for files in debian directory). That's why this issue was totally unreproducible. Hope this information helps someone :)

And thank you for providing you sequence of commands for running package, it helped.

I updated tests for conservation-code and applied quilt patch to upstream to make everything work when alignment matrix not found. Please check it. I start working on dssp now.

When I read your letter to Canberk, I noticed this:

> I admit I *always* try to design the tests that it can be run manually
on the local machine.  I also usually install the tests into
   /usr/share/doc/<packagename>
>and add a README.test there to inform users how they can test the
package manually.  This serves in most cases as an informative example
how to use the software.

- is it necessary to add README.test to conservation-code, and if it is, where can I find package with a good example of this file? Are there any special rules for it (i.e., it must be written in markdown, etc.)?

Speaking about "concavity" - how long we should wait for author's response before resolving it without that response?

--
Best wishes,
Tanya.