Re: debian/upstream/edam on wiki Re: added notion of edam to https://wiki.debian.org/debian/upstream

Hi Jon, hi Andreas,

On 09/03/16 22:45, jison@cbs.dtu.dk wrote:
> Thanks for this work, folks.
>
> The ELIXIR bods have been swamped since the sprint; March is also horrendous: this situation will improve in April!  Watch
> this space ... :)
It seems like I will make to Trondheim next week. If so then it would be
nice if you could summon someone (or have reserve time locally) to
prepare that we can perform updates of our submissions with Hervé's
upload tool.

I would also like to start transferring the EDAM annotation from
SeqAnswers. Is there something beyond
https://github.com/bio-tools/biotoolsConnect/blob/master/SEQwiki/
to start from? My idea was that I just indicate in debian/copyright that
the file debian/upstream/edam has its origins with bio.tools whenever I
take any information from there.

What I just noticed - while it is easy to have a CC license for a single
file, the upload tool also takes information from debian/control and
debian/copyright, which is typically under the GPL or with whatever the
upstream source license is. This needs some debate, still. We could for
instance introduce a dual license, but this is something the individual
maintainer of the packaging should decide - not allowing the individual
to decide freely would mean a strong opposition. For most uploads there
will be packages already described in bio.tools, just with a different
source, so the information uploaded is already redundant. One would just
like to tag an existing entry with the notion that there is also a
Debian package available. I remember your current API not to be prepared
for that, still, this would come handy, both for a reduction of labour
and concerns on conflicting licenses.

> Andreas:
>> On Wed, Mar 09, 2016 at 06:55:44PM +0100, Steffen M�ller wrote:
>>> I have now also prepared a more detailed version on
>>> https://wiki.debian.org/debian/upstream/edam
>>> that I hope to help ourselves a bit in organising bits and pieces that
>>> shall help our data flow.
>> Nice.  Thanks for this helpful piece of information.  I added the -j
>> option of the scriot to this doc.
I had a few pull requests myself. :)
>>> We should possibly also think about preparing an edam Debian package.
>>> This should contain the tools of Andreas
>> Regarding my "tool" I'm not yet convinced that it should be packaged
>> since it is really only an example how to query UDD serving as potential
>> kick-start for writing a tool.  Nice that you obviously tried it - I was
>> hoping that our edam partners would take over the ball ...
There are "horses for courses", as I had learned :)  It is quite an
impressive query.

Let them do their homework for the updates of entries and your example
script will find its audience.

Best,

Steffen