Re: cme and stylistic changes in team uploads

Hi, Ghislain,

على السبت 24 كانون الأول 2016 ‫08:12، كتب Ghislain Vaillant:
> On 24/12/16 15:41, Afif Elghraoui wrote:
>> Hi, all,
>>
>> I'm admittedly no fan of cme's styling. While I have my own style that I
>> prefer to use in d/control, I don't impose this on anyone--I would not
>> force people requesting sponsorship to use it, nor would I change it
>> while making a team upload.
>
> cme introduces some consistency in the formatting that is definitely
> welcome. It also helps you flag things like non-secure VCS URIs and
> out-of-date standards fairly easily.

Flagging is what lintian does. While cme also makes those changes for
you, it removes trailing commas from listings (making for noisier diffs)
and misaligns all itemized lists.

I'm not trying to convince anyone because I'm not really interested in
disputing style; all I'm saying is that if someone wants to make a team
upload, I don't think that making stylistic changes should be part of it.

> That being said, like any other tools, it should not be used blindly and
> whoever messed with your comment should have inspected the diff before.
>
> That being said?
>
>> Is there a reason to apply cme systematically to packages as part of any
>> upload? Besides my dislike for what it does to the file, it has in one
>> case moved a Depends line away from the comment that describes it (so
>> the comment ends up being next to something else).
>
> Comments in d/control, what is this practice? Why do we have
> README.Debian and README.source then?

I mostly do it to set aside build-dependencies that are needed for tests
and perhaps a few other things that are not really appropriate in README.*.

regards
Afif

--
Afif Elghraoui | عفيف الغراوي