From: Steffen Möller [mailto:steffen_moeller@gmx.de]
Sent: Mittwoch, 30. November 2016 16:04
To: Debian Med Project List
Subject: Shall we develop a Debian Med Tutorial? Fwd: [BC2-conference] Call for workshop and tutorial proposals open now.

Hello,

much like many of you I just received this invitation to come up with a tutorial and/or workshop for the Basel (Switzerland) conference. The ISMB (next time in Prague (CZ) if I recall correctly) I expect to send the same around any minute or I already missed it as they typically have deadlines in December.

Question: Shall we? I am not so much after explaining how to prepare a Debian package but we should demonstrate the amazing wealth of software packages that are readily available to be installed and workflows that can be addressed with them. A key message could be that the principles explained in this tutorial one would be platform independent as VirtualBox does a decent job and also ready for clouds with Amazon and others. With respect to workflows I would then go and explain just any that is also covered by the Common Workflow Language development.

Just ping me whoever is up for it. It is quite a bit of work and not so very rewarding, scientifically. We shall expect to be offered to write a book, which I would very much like to be something towards a "bioinformatics recipies" book. This kind of avoids the term "workflow".

Best,

Steffen