Re: Please choose a free license for eigensoft

Hi,

On Mon, Jul 18, 2016 at 03:06:56PM -0400, Alkes Price wrote:
> Dear Andreas,
>
> We have now released EIGENSOFT 6.1.2 with a new license, per your request.

Thanks a lot for this.  While taking care for the packaging I noticed
that the ploteig executable which smartpca.pl is refering to is missing
from this release.

When checking the code smartpca.pl is also refering to evec2pca-ped.perl
as well as evec2pca.perl - but both scripts are not named .perl but
rather .pl.

I have a general remark to those .pl extensions.  According to the
Debian upstream guide[1] it is not a good idea to add language
extensions to scripts at all (just read the link[1] to learn several
good reasons why).  Since I try to follow the Debian standards inside
the packaging I'm moving the real executables that are called by *.pl
wrappers to /usr/lib/eigensoft and keep only the wrappers inside the
user PATH (/usr/bin) while stripping the extensions.  The wrappers are
patched to find the files in /usr/lib/eigensoft.  To keep the
functionality of possibly existing user scripts in addition the names
with *.pl extension are provided inside /usr/lib/debian-med/bin and a
README is added that will inform users to set their PATH accordingly.
However, I'd recommend to find a similar solution without those
extensions for all eigensoft users for the reasons I pointed to above.

Another hint:  gc.pl (or just gc) is a very generic name that should
not be used.  In the Debian package I install it as

      /usr/bin/gc-eigensoft      and
      /usr/lib/debian-med/bin/gc.pl

Please consider a better name since the name gc is just choosen by
graphviz.

Kind regards and thanks again for your cooperation

       Andreas.

[1] https://wiki.debian.org/UpstreamGuide#Language_extensions_in_scripts