Re: [outreachy] libtfbs-perl uploaded what about libgo-perl

Hi Tanya,

On Sun, Jul 17, 2016 at 11:04:45AM +0300, merlettaia wrote:
> Hi Andreas,
> OK, I just wanted to write you about it:)

Sorry for pushing. ;-)

> I also made small fix in proftmb and metastudent - turned on allow-stderr
> restriction (both packaged failed in  Debian CI server because of
> pp-popularity-contest warning message output to stderr), they also worth
> uploading.

Uploaded.

> You should also upload profbval (I've made changes after last upload, but
> mention them in changelog in wrong place - now  this is fixed).

Upload as well.

> I'll fix spelling warnings in libgo perl then.

Fine.

> BTW, can you remember any details regarding this problem with profphd
> (citation from upstream's ChangeLog file):
> "
> profphd (1.0.42) unstable; urgency=low
>
>   * Make prof work with Debian Jessie by requiring perlbrew package
>     and have it install independent perl v5.10 instance. $[ has been
>     moved from perl core >=5.16.0 into arybase, and does not produce
>     the same side effects as in previous perl versions, therefore
>     breaking prof when run using perl v5.20 in Jessie.
>
>  -- Timothy Karl (Aerialis) <karl@rostlab.org>  Thu, 23 Jul 2015 16:44:30
> +0200
> "

Sorry, no idea.  I do not speak Perl as fluently as fully understanding
these details.

> What exactly side effect does he mean? And what erratic behaviour? If you
> don't know, I'll check RostLab's bugs page, write to upstream contacts (via
> all possible ways, since it doesn't look like they answer emails fast) and
> try to fix.

I'm afraid that the people who are in our changelogs and control files
might have left rostlab meanwhile and do not even have access to their
mails any more.

> For now it seems unclear from arybase description (
> http://search.cpan.org/dist/perl-5.17.1/ext/arybase/arybase.pm#HISTORY),
> what exact "side effect" they use. I tried to update package's supported
> perl version on PC (since I haven't figure out yet how to make autopkgtest
> use perlbrew correctly), and it seemed to work - when I run predictprotein
> with that patched version installed, I had no warning messages or errors,
> yay! But probably no errors were shown because I used small portion of
> BLASTP database, and some code portions were not used... Any details on
> that issue will help :)

May be asking Debian Perl team (for the Perl syntax issue not the
predictprotein issue) might be a good idea.